Once you complete the power clean(?) your body is in position to immediately transition into the jerk portion of the exercise. The jerk is another explosive movement (essentially a push press) that produces speed and power transitioning from your mid-section all the way up through your body over your head.
- Slightly bend at the knees (less than a 1/4 squat) and in one, continuous motion thrust your hips upward driving through your heel (just like in the Crossfit power clean) while pushing the barbell vertically over your head.
- As the barbell rises above your head make sure to drop under the weight of the bar as you continue raising it. This provides a sturdy landing position to catch the weight.
- As the barbell climbs overhead, split one leg backwards and the other forward. Make sure both the feet lock into position by the time you lock the barbell overhead.
- Return the head to the neutral position in a way that the bar is in line with your ears or slightly behind them.
- Now bring your feet back to the side by side position, which should be hip to shoulder width apart and stand straight.